Speedway 95 News Release


By Bill DaButler

(Hermon, Me) Side by side action were the words of the day at Speedway 95 in Hermon on Saturday, July 21st.

Defending Champion John Phippen, Jr. of Town Hill, and point leader Paul White of Corrinna went head to head in the Dysart’s Sportsman ProStock race. The pair traded the top spot, side by side, door to door in the closing laps of the race, when the checkered flag flew, Phippen was at the front, taking the win, and White ended his stellar run in second. Doug Day of Glenburn crossed the line for third in the high tension race.

Before the races, Brenton Parritt of Steuben said that he his four weeks of bad luck had to be at an end, and sure enough, they were Parritt earned the pole, and the win, despite three caution flags to slow down the action. Bobby Seger, Jr. of Frankfort grabbed the second spot, and Fred “Pee Wee”Brown of Winterport finished third.

Points leader Steve Moulton of Glenburn last a tire in the early going of the Super Street race, but didn’t miss a beat, getting a tire on and coming back out to rejoin the field for the restart. At lap 12 however, he lost that same tire again, after working his way back up to the fourth spot. Defending Champion, John Kalel, II of Glenburn took home the win, and “Smokin’” Joe Legere of Milford finished second. Keith Pierce of Hudson finished his evening of racing in the third spot.

It was a “Cinderella Story” in the Strictly Streets when Rowland “J.R. Rockin’” Robinson of Steuben crashed into the front stretch tire pile and totaled his race car in the 3rd lap of the heat race. Robinson borrowed the racecar of Shawn Hamel of Bangor, and returned the track for the feature race at the tail end of the field. Robinson then weaved his way through the field to take the win of defending champion Derek Pearson of Glenburn. Ellsworth Brad Norris grabbed the third place honors

Rick Grant of Legrange picked up his first win of the season in the Sport Four division, only to have it taken away in the post race inspection. David Green of Hampden inherited the win, Steve Heath of Brownville was awarded second, and Spencer Garvin of Belfast was given the third spot. Much of the Sport-Four Action was for third through eighth, were the field was tied up in side by side action until the closing laps, the only caution came early and was for fluid on the track.

Unofficial Results:

Dysart’s ProStocks

Finish Car # Name Town

1. 59 John Phippen Town Hill

2. 15 Paul White Corinna

3. 69 Doug Day Glenburn

4. 55 Jesse Smith Bangor

5. 02 Greg Morse St. Albans
Limited Sportsman

Finish Car # Name Town

1. 27 Brenton Parritt Steuben

2. 07 Bobby Seger, Jr. Winterport

3. 48 Fred Brown Winterport

4. 32 Nick Jenkins Milo

5. 28 Rowland Robinson, Sr. Steuben

Super Street

Finish Car # Name Town

1. 5 John Kalel, II Orrington

2. 8 Joe Legere Milford

3. 2 Keith Pierce Hudson

4. 47 Artie MacGuire Bucksport

5. 73 Van Kitchen St. Albans

Strictly Street

Finish Car # Name Town

1. 28 Rowland Robinson, Jr. Steuben

2. 29 Derek Pearson Glenburn

3. 8 Brad Norris Ellsworth

4. 65 Melanie Hamel Bangor

5. 16 Tim Daggett Alton


Finish Car # Name Town

1. 16 David Green Hampden

2. 0 Steve Heath Brownville

3. 66 Spencer Garvin Belfast

4. 23 Lewis Batchelder Dixmont

5. 7 Adam Russell Meford

Speedway 95 returns to action Wednesday, July 25th for Varney GMC Wacky Wednesday. Weekend Racing continues Saturday July 28th at 7:00pm, including the final race in the Coca Cola Limited Sportsman Series.