MONTMAGNY, QC – Stock car driver Mario Gosselin completed a Serie ACT Castrol weekend sweep at Autodrome Montmagny Speedway in Montmagny, QC on Sunday. Gosselin, a native of Quebec’s Beauce region, now living in Lake Wales, Florida, won a 100-lap event on Saturday and the Montmagny 250 on Sunday. Gosselin had luck on his side, as his JPN Electric/Dan-Marc Construction #12QC Chevrolet ran out of fuel in the final corner of the Montmagny 250 and he coasted across the finish line.
Gosselin started 14th and led the final 112 laps of the event after taking the lead from former Serie ACT Castrol champion Donald Theetge of Boischatel, QC. Theetge finished second to Gosselin on Saturday, but ended up in 12th place with a flat right-
front tire on Sunday.
Stephane Descoste of Oka, QC turned in a surprise performance with a runner-up finish. Descoste started fifth in the 22-car field and raced inside the top ten during the entire event. He worked past Theetge following the race’s 12th and final restart on lap 233 and outran veteran Claude Leclerc of Lanoraie to finish second. Unofficially, Dany Ouellet of La Pocatiere
finished fourth behind Leclerc, the final car on the lead lap.
Yvon Bedard of St-Nicolas, QC finished fifth, one lap behind Gosselin. Eighteen year-old Kevin Roberge of Levis, QC finished a career-best sixth, ahead of cross-town Levis neighbor Jonathan Desbiens. Desbiens, 17 years old, earned his second seventh-place finish of the weekend. Rookie Patrick Hamel of St-Edouard-de-Lotbiniere finished eighth, two laps down. Eric St-Gelais of St-Nicolas, QC finished a season-best ninth, with unofficial point leader Alexandre Gingras of Val-Belair rounding out
the top ten, three laps down.
The Montmagny 250 was completed in just over two hours and sixteen minutes. Descoste, Jean-Francois Dery of Quebec, QC, and Hamel won the three qualifying heats.
The top 11 Serie ACT Castrol drivers will face off against the top 11 ACT U.S. Tour drivers at the $5,000-to-win “Coors Light 200 Showdown at Chaudiere,” at Vallee-Jonction, QC’s Autodrome Chaudiere, on Saturday, Sept. 6. Unofficially, the drivers representing the Serie ACT Castrol will be Gingras, Karl Allard of St-Felicien, QC, Bedard, Dery, Leclerc, Martin Lacombe of Terrebonne, QC, Hamel, Ouellet, Desbiens, rookie Spencer MacPherson of Carleton Place, ON, and Stephane Durand of Quebec, QC. For
more information, call (802) 244-6963, or visit www.laserieactcastrol.com or www.acttour.com.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Montmagny 250
Serie ACT Castrol – Autodrome Montmagny Speedway – Montmagny, QC
Sunday, August 24, 2008
(# – denotes rookie)
1. Mario Gosselin, Lake Wales, FL, 250
2. Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 250
3. Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC, 250
4. Dany Ouellet, La Pocatiere, QC, 250
5. Yvon Bedard, St-Nicolas, QC, 249
6. Kevin Roberge, Levis, QC, 249
7. Jonathan Desbiens, Levis, QC, 249
8. # Patrick Hamel, St-Edouard-de-Lotbiniere, QC, 248
9. Eric St-Gelais, St-Nicolas, QC, 248
10. Alexandre Gingras, Val-Belair, QC, 247
11. Renaud Blais, Ste-Agathe, QC, 247
12. Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 247
13. Stephane Durand, Quebec, QC, 246
14. Jean-Francois Dery, Quebec, QC, 242
15. Karl Allard, St-Felicien, QC, 239
16. # Spencer MacPherson, Carleton Place, ON, 237
17. Martin Lacombe, Terrebonne, QC, 229
18. Daniel Descoste, St-Joseph-du-Lac, QC, 191
19. Stephane Lecours, Lac Etchemin, QC, 148
20. Jacques Poulin, East-Broughton, QC, 121
21. Sylvain Lacombe, Terrebonne, QC, 67
22. Dany Lagace, Boischatel, QC, 14