Hermon’s Scott Modery finally dug his Late Model racer out of the garage last week after spending the summer helping his son, Ryan, learn to race and win the points title in the Stars of Tomorrow, a division for 11-14 year olds. In only his second race at Speedway 95 this season, Scott picked up the win in the Late Model Division Saturday night. One caution flag interrupted the race when Joey Doyon of Winterport and Duane Seekins of Stockton Springs spun on the backstretch, sending Ryan Deane of Winterport off the track and into the turn three tire wall. All drivers recovered to return to the race. Modery took the lead on the restart, and while he was leading by a couple of car lengths, Fred Brown of Winterport and Dale Swoboda of Hermon were having a tight battle for the second and third spots over the last 15 laps of the event. The two veteran drivers raced side by side, with Brown on the outside and Swoboda on the inside. Brown came out ahead when the checkered flag fell, finishing the race in second, with Swoboda in third. Josh St. Clair of Liberty and John Phippen Jr, of Bar Harbor rounded out the top five. Seekins won the qualifier and started the race on the pole.


The Little Enduro Division put on the show of the night as 21 cars took the green flag for the first race in a two race series to finish out the Saturday night season. Travis Beale of Hampden led the first five laps until a tap from Jason Trundy sent Beale high on the track, allowing Trundy to get by on the inside. Beale did a masterful job of controlling his car and managed to hold on to the second spot. Trundy led until a red flag on lap 17, caused when David Ogden of Old Town and Dennis Burns of Carmel went off the track in turn 1, tightened the field up for the restart. Trundy got the jump on the restart, but another red halted the field on lap 18. This time it was for Mark Lane of Newport and Burns, again, colliding in turn 1. Beale got the lead on the restart and battled with Trundy until lap 22 when Beale got caught on the outside behind a slower car. Trundy retook the lead on the low side and went on the post the win. Beale finished in second, with Kyle Gallant picking up third. Darren Durrell of Newburgh was fourth with Donny Blanchard of Orrington finished fifth. Mike Ogden of Bucksport and Beale won the qualifiers.
Doug Day of Glenburn started the Strictly Street feature in the 5th spot, but by lap 4 had raced his way into the lead which he held to the finish in the caution free event. Not too far behind, Travis Poulin of Holden and points leader Bradley Norris of Ellsworth were holding their own side by side race for the second and third spots. On lap 20, Poulin used the slower car of Dover-Foxcroft’s Brad Finnemore for a pick and forced Norris to back off and slide in behind him in third. Not content there, Norris clawed his way back beside Poulin to take second place by a nose at the checkers. Poulin finished third with Shawn Hamel II of Bangor fourth and Shawn Hamel of Bangor in fifth. Day also won the 10 lap qualifier.
Steve Moulton and Kris Watson are in a close battle for the points title in the Super Streets and their one-two finish in the feature on Saturday night showed why. Moulton started the event in the 8th spot, and by lap three had worked his way into the lead. Meanwhile Watson, who broke his car at Unity on Friday night, borrowed a car from Dave St. Clair, with permission from Josh St. Clair, the driver scheduled to be in the car,
and chased Moulton for the entire event, finishing a close second. The newest driver in the St. Clair family, 15 year old Ryan St. Clair of Liberty, grandson of David and brother of Josh, drove a strong race to come from the rear to finish in third. Artie Maguire of Bucksport was fourth with Lindsey Young finishing fifth. The race was stopped by caution only once when Hermon’s Doug Sinclair and Franklin’s Mike Overlock tangled in the fourth turn and ended up in the tire wall. Both drivers recovered without assistance from the track crews and continued in the race. Moulton was the winner of the qualifier earlier in the evening.


Racing action was superb again in the Sport-Fours as Gary Richards of Stetson picked up his second win of the season. Behind him, Kyle Gallant of Veazie and Rick Grant of LaGrange had a fierce battle going for the second and third spots with Gallant coming out ahead when the checkered flag fell. Grant finished third, but was unable to make the post race interview as his radiator exploded just past the finish line, causing him to spin off the track in turn one in his own water. Fortunately for the rest of the field, he was on the outside and they were able to avoid the mess by staying low on the track. Points leader David Green of Hampden finished in fourth with James Johnson II of Bucksport in fifth.
Green won the 10 lap qualifier.
The final event of the 2009 racing season at Speedway 95 will be held on Saturday, September 12 at 6:30. Highlighting the card, which includes the Super Streets, Strictly Streets, Sport-Fours and Little Enduros, will be race 2 of the Linnehan’s Credit Now Auto Company Triple Crown series for Late Models. This race will be 54 laps and pay $1754 to the winner. The friends and Family of Bob Coburn, a former driver of the #54 Pro Stock at the speedway who passed away in June, have raised $1054 to add to the normal $700 first prize and asked that the race be run for 54 laps in his memory. In addition, Linnehan’s Credit Now Auto Company will be holding a drawing during the night that will award three prizes to lucky fans in attendance in the grandstand. First prize will be $1000.00 cash, second is a Dale Earnhardt collectible die cast, and third prize will be 2 tickets to the Sprint Cup race in Louden N.H. on Sept 20. The final leg of the Linnehan’s Triple Crown Series will be held at Unity Raceway on Sunday. October 11.