Ste-Croix, QC – St-Edouard’s Patrick Hamel earned his first career Série ACT Castrol win after inheriting the lead with just seven laps remaining in the Hamel Construction 100 at Riverside Speedway in Ste-Croix, QC. Hamel ran in the second position for most of the event while battling with early leader Claude Leclerc and Donald Theetge in the later stages of the event. Hamel put up a great battle but over the final 47 lap green flag run it appeared he had nothing left for Theetge.
Theetge was working his way through a couple of lap cars with Hamel hanging several car lengths back with seven laps to go. Theetge made contact with a lap car going into turn three on the 94th circuit, which created a slow leak in his left front tire. Hamel passed the slowing Theetge and cruised to the win. Theetge limped around for the remaining laps and finished 16th just one lap down.
Patrick Laperle recovered from an early spin to claim the runner-up position while David Michaud earned his second podium finish of the season in third. Sophomore driver Alex Labbé took fourth with veteran Claude Leclerc earning his second straight top five in fifth. Jean-François Déry, Dany Trepanier, Karl Allard, Patrick Cliche and Jacques Poulin completed the top ten.
The event saw eight cautions and took one hour and 18 minutes. Twenty-six cars were on hand for the event and they all started the feature. Twenty cars were left on the track on the final lap with fifteen of them completing all 100 laps.
Patrick Hamel earns an invitation to the ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, NH on Saturday, September 24th during NASCAR Sprint Cup weekend. He joins previous invitation winners Brian Hoar, Nick Sweet, Patrick Laperle, John Donahue, Jeff White and Daniel Descoste.
The Série ACT Castrol has next weekend off before making their second trek to Autodrome Montmagny on Saturday, July 2 for a 250 lap event.
Série ACT Castrol Unofficial Results
Hamel Construction 100 – Riverside Speedway
St-Croix, QC – Saturday, June 18, 2011
Fin. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (7) Patrick Hamel, St-Edouard, QC, 100 Laps
2. (18) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis-sur-Richelieu, QC, 100 Laps
3. (12) David Michaud, Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, QC, 100 Laps
4. (8) Alex Labbe, Saint-Albert, QC, 100 Laps
5. (3) Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC, 100 Laps
6. (15) Jean-Francois Dery, Quebec, QC, 100 Laps
7. (4) Dany Trepanier, St-Edouard, QC, 100 Laps
8. (19) Karl Allard, Quebec, QC, 100 Laps
9. (2) Patrick Cliche, St-Jean-Chrysostome, QC, 100 Laps
10. (23) Jacques Poulin, East Broughton, QC, 100 Laps
11. (21) Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, QC, 100 Laps
12. (9) Martin Lacombe, Terrebonne, QC, 100 Laps
13. (20) Jonathan Urlin, London, ON, 100 Laps
14. (1) Gaetan Lauzier, St-Pacome, QC, 100 Laps
15. (17) Tony Cote, Beauceville, QC, 100 Laps
16. (10) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 99 Laps
17. (11) Marc-Andre Cliche, Vallee-Jonction, QC, 99 Laps
18. (24) #Yannick Tremblay, Chicoutimi, QC, 99 Laps
19. (25) Stephane Durand, Quebec, QC, 99 Laps
20. (26) #Dave Coursol, St-Jerome, QC, 97 Laps
21. (16) Steven Boissonneault, Lyster, QC, 56 Laps
22. (13) Eric Giguere, St-Georges, QC, 49 Laps
23. (22) Jonathan Desbiens, Levis, QC, 33 Laps
24. (6) Jimmy Cormier, Princeville, QC, 33 Laps
25. (5) Marco Savoie, St-Lambert, QC, 10 Laps
DSQ (14) Kevin Roberge, Levis,QC
Time of Race: 1:18:58
Margin of Victory: 3.708 seconds
Cautions: 8 (Laps 1, 11, 17, 23, 28, 33, 46, 63)
Leaders: Patrick Cliche, 1-11; Claude Leclerc, 12-30; Donald Theetge, 31-63; Patrick Hamel, 64; Theetge, 65-93; Hamel 94-100.