Andrew McLaughlin of Harrington wired the Ikey Dore Memorial 50 lap Street Stock event held at Speedway 95 Thursday night, leading all 50 laps and picking up $2250 in the process. The race, which paid $1000.00 to the winner plus an extra $25.00 for each lap led, was marked by seven caution periods, giving the competition several chances to unseat McLaughlin from the top spot. Coming closest was Burnham’s Carl McAlpine, who had three tries but was unable to lead even one lap for the bonus money. Each time they lined up for the green, McLaughlin was able to keep his Camaro out front by the time they reached the scoring line. McAlpine finished in the second spot, with Mac Hannan of Union putting on a late charge to take third. Larry Emerson of Durham, who spent much of the race in the second spot, finished fourth, followed by Bangor’s Shawn Hamel in fifth. The remainder of the finishing order was 6. Ryan Robbins, Dixfield, 7. Chuck Harmon, Amity, 8. Vanna Brackett, Buckfield, 9. Bradley Norris, Ellsworth, 10. Bill Bowley II, Canaan, 11. Jim Carr Jr. Clifton, 12. Jesse Smith, Hermon, 13. Ren Dore, Addison, 14. Randy Caler, Cherryfield, 15. Ken Bowness, Glenburn, 16. Damon Dodge, Troy, 17. Mike Short, Auburn.

In Dysart’s Late Model action, Dale Swoboda of Hermon battled side by side with fellow Hermon driver Mike Hopkins for the final five laps to take the win, which Swoboda had by inches when the checkered flag flew. Hopkins had started at the rear of the pack and worked his way to the front, taking the lead from Swoboda on lap 30 of the 35 lap event. Swoboda led at lap 31, with Hopkins leading lap 33. Swoboda hung tough on the inside groove and nipped Hopkins at the stripe for the win, his first of the season. Hopkins, who had his five race winning streak broken last week by Ellsworth’s Andy Saunders, took second with early leader Ryan Deane of Winterport finishing third. Bob Seger Jr. of Frankfort finished fourth and Winterport’s Shane Clark was fifth. Sixth through 11th were John Kalel II, Orrington, Deane Smart, Bradley, Jesse Smith, Hermon, Donny Blanchard, Bangor, Alex Waltz, Damariscotta, and George Dunn, Eastbrook.

The Sportsman division saw a lap one wreck eliminate two strong competitors and badly damage a third, leaving only four cars to complete the 25 lap race. D.J. Moody of Prospect, back after a week off to repair his car from a previous lap one accident two weeks before, survived this week’s melee and led from lap 2 to the finish. Jeremy Glasier of Appleton finished second after a brief trip to the pit to repair minor damage from the early race fracas. Third went to Franklin’s Mike Overlock with Gene Wasson of Greenbush in fourth. Steve Moulton of Holden returned to the field several laps down after making repairs to his car to record a fifth place finish. Doug Sinclair of Hermon and Nick Huff of Orrington were eliminated after one lap of competition.

After finishing in 9th place in the Strictly Street 50 lapper earlier in the evening, Bradley Norris of Ellsworth took his Sport-Four ride from the middle of the field at the start to the front where he passed Milo’s Steve Heath on lap 19 of the 20 lap event to take the win by less than a car length. Heath, who had led from the drop of the green, finished in second, followed by Bradley Dolan of Winterport, who posted his first top three of the season. Fourth went to Mike Heath of Brownville, with Josh Dillon of Milo in fifth. Duane Dunifer of Carmel finished sixth, with James Johnson II of Buckspot in seventh. Eighth spot went to Kieth Ogden of Dedham, with Scott Bonney of Bangor ninth. Tenth spot went to Durban Davis of Bangor with Becky Elston of Carmel 11th. Zack Audet of Skowhegan finished 12th with Jay Robichaud of Eddington leaving the race early and being credited with the 13th and last finishing spot.

Although short in numbers, the Bomber drivers put on a good show until Andrew Crosby of Hermon broke through the stranglehold at the front and led the final three laps to the checkers. Ryan Modery of Hermon finished second after a race long side by side battle with Glenburn’s Emma Libby, who finished third. Ken Ogden of Deal Cove was fourth.

Racing action continues at Speedway 95 on Wednesday, July 20, with a regular Varney Buick, GMC, Mazda Wacky Wednesday show, followed on Thursday night, July 21 by the John Phippen Memorial 100 lap event for Late Models. All regular Saturday night divisions will also be in action on that special Thursday night show. Saturday night racing will return to Speedway 95 on Saturday, July 30.