WINCHESTER, NH — Mike O’Sullivan etched his name into the Granite State Pro Stock Series record book by winning the David’s House 106 presented by Fenton Family Dealerships, the first race in the series inaugural season. O’Sullivan took home a $3,000 check for his effort.
O’Sullivan led a race high 33 laps from his tenth place starting position, seeing the lead for a two lap stint on lap 43 before he took the lead for good on lap 76. O’Sullivan benefitted from a rare mistake by veteran racer Bobby Cabral on a lap 75 restart, when Cabral spun his tires and lost control of his automobile.
“I know I was going through [turn three] with one hand on the wheel and shifting, and it was like driving on ice,” O’Sullivan, of Springfield, MA, said about his lap 75 restart with Cabral. “And I knew he had to be doing the same. I figured if I put a little bit of pressure on him for him to get a good restart, he maybe would make a mistake. And he did. Bobby’s a good race car driver. He’s a champion and a chassis builder; he’s no dummy. But I was trying to get a little bit of pressure on him so he’d make a mistake. If he got the lead [on the restart], I don’t think I was going to be able to get him. He was pretty good out front.”
Fifteen-year-old Derek Griffith, of Hudson, NH, scored a runner-up finish in his first Pro Stock race ever. Griffith was able to the grab the second position from then second place runner Rich Eaton late in the race. Cabral, of East Kingston, NH, rebounded from his spin to finish third. Seabrook, NH driver Eaton settled for fourth, while Walpole, NH’s Mike Parks completed the top five finishers.
Fran Colson, Carl Eriksson, Matt Zenisky, polesitter Austin Brehio, and Adam LaPoint completed the top ten finishing drivers.
Race winner O’Sullivan was pleased with the way the first race went for everyone involved.
“You can see this is a well-oiled machine even though this is the first race,” O’Sullivan said. “I thought it went really well. I was happy with the people and I am happy with everything.”
The Granite State Pro Stock Series’ next event is scheduled for June 23 at Unity Raceway in Unity, Maine, for a 112 lap race.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS — David’s House 106 presented by Fenton Family Dealerships
Granite State Pro Stock Series — Monadnock Speedway, Winchester, NH
Saturday, May 26, 2012
1. (10) Mike O’Sullivan, Springfield, MA, 106 laps
2. (6) Derek Griffith, Hudson, NH, 106 laps
3. (12) Bobby Cabral, East Kingston, NH, 106 laps
4. (11) Rich Eaton, Seabrook, NH, 106 laps
5. (8) Mike Parks, Walpole, NH, 106 laps
6. (4) Fran Colson, Gardner, MA, 106 laps
7. (13) Carl Eriksson, Deep River, CT, 106 laps
8. (5) Matt Zenisky, West Springfield, MA, 106 laps
9. (1) Austin Brehio, Hopkinton, NH, 105 laps
10. (14) Adam LaPoint, Winchester, NH, 104 laps
11. (9) Dennis Maxfield, Fitchburg, MA, 91 laps
12. (16) Josh King, Vernon, VT, 76 laps
13. (19) Les Hinckley, Windsor Locks, CT, 74 laps
14. (15) Bobby Baillargeon, Kingston, NH, 33 laps
15. (3) Barry Gray, Belchertown, MA, 31 laps
16. (18) Pete Fiandaca, Fitchburg, MA, 27 laps
17. (17) Zig Geno, Canterbury, NH, 25 laps
18. (2) Geoff Rollins, Groton, MA, 20 laps
19. (7) Keith Caruso, Millbury, MA, 19 laps
20. (20) Reid Lanpher, Manchester, ME, 14 laps
Lap Leaders: Austin Brehio (1-21), Mike Parks (22-42), Mike O’Sullivan (43-44), Parks (45-57), Bobby Cabral (58-75), O’Sullivan (76-106)
Time of Race: 1:07:54.258
Margin of Victory: .629 seconds
Cautions: 9 (4, 19, 20, 22, 39, 75, 76, 86, 91)
Heat Winners: Dennis Maxfield, Fran Colson