Speedway 95


Travis Beale of Hampden brought his car back to Speedway 95 in response to track owner Del Merritt’s posting of larger than normal purse to draw more cars to the track and promptly snapped Garett Hayman’s five race winning streak. Beale, who had been racing at Spud Speedway in Caribou, showed his experience as he worked his way past Hayman in traffic early in the event and broke into the lead on lap 8 of the 20 lap feature. Darren Durrell of Newburgh, the 2011 division champion, also answered Merritt’s call for more cars on Wednesday night and placed second. Hayman finished third after catching but not being able to pass Durrell. Daymon Dodge of Winterport placed fourth with early leader Kyle Gallant of Veazie falling to fifth in the closing laps.

Jim Carr Jr. of Clifton won the pick up truck feature by leading all 20 laps of the caution free event. Dana Harlow of Bucksport ran close to Carr for many laps, but faded in the waning laps, finishing second. Third went to Roger Smith Jr. of Bangor with Jason Haskell for Levant in fourth. Mike Lynch of Winterport finished a distant fifth
Bob Seger Jr. continued his domination of the Big Enduros passing Alvin MacNevin of Clifton for the lead near the half way mark. MacNevin held on to finish second with Shawn Racilla of Dover-Foxcroft in third. Fourth went to pole-sitter Woody Davis of Glenburn with Mike Slobuszewoki of Milo finishing fifth.
Austin Clemons on Norridgewock passed leader Ricky Pease Jr. of Detroit on a restart and went on to post his third win of the Stars of Tomorrow season. Pease finished second with Robert Dyer of Canaan third. Alex Runci of Belfast finished fourth with Ellsworth’s Whitney Saunders finishing fifth in her VW Bug.

The Ladies division feature was cancelled after a lap 2 crash halted the action. Becky Elston- Burns of Carmel spun in turn 2, causing the cars behind her, driven by Nicole Smith of Clifton, Amy Houde of W. Enfield and Kayla Allen of Penobscot to end up crashing into each other as they attempted to slow for Elston-Burns. Track officials and Emergency personnel estimated the time to extricate Smith from her wrecked racer at a half hour, so the race was cancelled and will be run on next week’s program. Both Smith and Allen were transported to the hospital, but details of their condition was not available at the time of this writing. Any information that can be released will be posted on the speedway website www.speedway95racing.com as soon as it is available.